Yes, you read that right ~ I said “Happy New Year” in March. But aren’t birthdays a sort of New Year? The start of, for me, another decade. It can be a time of growth, of resolutions (I prefer goals!), and certainly a time of celebration. And Birthday Portraits are the perfect way to celebrate! To capture the joy of life in this moment, in this year, right now. How about you… want to celebrate and document your next birthday?
· so you say life isn't all joy ~ is it ever going to be?
· so you say you need to lose 10 pounds first ~ do you have a plan?
· so you say I'm not (fill in the blank here) AKA: good, pretty, important, comfortable, etc?, enough ~ then make it so!
· so you say no one wants a photo of just little ole me ~ have you asked your family what they think about that? (read on dear friend!)
· so you say I'm too busy ~ when was the last time you took some time for you, filled your own bucket?
· so you say I don't like my (again fill in the blank here) AKA: nose, chin, hands, etc.. ~ what do you not hate about yourself?
· so you say people will think you're self absorbed ~ but isn't your birthday the one time it should be about you?
· so you say I don't celebrate my birthday ~ and I ask you, "why not?"
My beloved Aunt passed away last year at 101 (not a typo at all, yes, 101!!) She celebrated her special day every year – every year, including the last. And I was sooo happy to be there with her. And to have her birthday portraits that I had been shooting of her. The memories evoked when I see these are just precious to me. Much more than any “thing” I inherited, the photos bring her to life. And I remember. Can you see the twinkle in her eye?
Just think if you have another 40, 50, 60 years of birthdays and find nothing to celebrate about that. It makes me sad to thinking you might be feeling that way. I celebrate every year. Without fail. Because birthdays are about LIFE. Not that perfect life in the magazine (or on Facebook and Instagram) but about your life right this moment. Especially if you are wearing a tiara!
You are given this one life to live. How you do that is entirely up to you. You can do it with joy and wonder and gratitude and love. Or you can do it without those things - sort of settling for less than. You get to choose. And for me, I choose joy. I choose wonder. I choose gratitude. And above all, I choose love. And that includes loving myself and my life as it is.
For the last few years I have done birthday self-portraits. Just to celebrate the day that I came into this world. I look back now and smile. I remember where I was and what was going on in my life. This year was a big one… 60!! It’s hard to believe I have been on this earth for 60 years! And my goal is to at least match my Aunt. So I have a minimum of 41 to go!
You don't need to take your own birthday portraits to celebrate the uniqueness of you. That's what I'm here for! So, what do you say??? With or without family (including fur babies cuz they're family too); at home or at your favorite local spot. What a gift to give yourself and your family. I know they would love it ~ especially those that live apart from you. I'll help you through the entire process. And it will be fun!! I promise.
Can I help you celebrate? Click HERE to see how to contact me!
If you’d like to be added to the email list to get notices of new blog posts, announcements, and specials - please comment on this post with your email address!!